the bitter veggy post

A stroke survivor, I have also been a fan of bitter vegetables since my teenage years. Here are my faves, from most to least.

The bok choy (or pechay in Filipino) is rich in vitamins A, C, K. A crucifer green, it has got a peppery base. I have been a pechay fiend since my first taste of it as a tot. A related vegetable, which is likewise bitter, is the kale.

The broccoli, with its bulging flower head, is a rich source of vitamins C and K. Although it is discernible as bitter, a broccoli resembles the sweeter cauliflower.

Used for the treatment of diabetes and HIV/AIDS, as well as for cancer prevention, the bitter melon (or ampalaya in Tagalog) is a tropical vine. I began liking it in my twenties.

The cabbage (or repolyo in Tagalog) is a leafy green, with red and white variants. Rich in vitamins C and K plus dietary fiber, it is closely related to the also bitter Brussels sprouts.

The radish (or labanos in Tagalog) is a rich source of non-fat food energy. Even though I bypassed this root vegetable in soups and stews until 2018, I have always been nuts about Chinese-restaurant radish cakes, and I relish daikon in Japanese and Korean soy condiments.

Antioxidants and protection against cancer are the jam of the cruciferous arugula or rocket, which has got a bitter undertone. I am partial to it in certain types of salads and pizzas.



Comments

  1. Just last night, 23 Sept., I saw cassava leaves, which likewise have a bitter base, being the center of a stew or soup in YT. Will try those one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me & my musical event firsts here @ https://one-handed-ilay.blogspot.com/2022/08/me-my-musical-event-firsts.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. from my fb: "The dish upfront was pork steak with broccoli and cabbage whereas the bottom one was mongo with ampalaya (or mung beans with bitter melon) and Filipino pork chicharon."

    ReplyDelete
  4. the sour fruit post @ https://one-handed-ilay.blogspot.com/2023/02/the-sour-fruit-post.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment