Ischemic stroke, part one


What is it?
An ischemic stroke is the most typical type of stroke. It deciphers a good 87% of all strokes. If you ever hear of “cerebral ischemia” or “brain ischemia”, either of those terms refers specifically to an ischemic stroke.

How does it occur?
A blocked artery is at the root of an ischemic stroke. The ischemia, or acutely diminished flow of blood, occurs to sections of the brain. This cut-off blood supply is due to atherosclerosis, or the narrowing of blood vessels. And that is owing to the entrenchment of augmented fatty deposits or blood clots in them, through the blood stream, frequently from the heart.

What are the symptoms?
1. Paralysis. Weakness in the limbs, whether on either or both halves of the body, contingent on which artery/ies are affected.
2. Drooping or weakening of the face on one side.
3. Double vision or blindness in one eye.
4. Others, such as a loss of physical coordination; dizziness; or confusion.

As for me, all those symptoms manifested in me! I have a permanently immobile right arm, from the shoulder down to the fingers. I had double vision for some three to five days (in addition to a prior loss of right peripheral vision), and the right half of my face drooped for two to four weeks. The drooping of my right face isn’t yet done, and my loss of balance and coordination is ongoing.

Part two here.



Comments

  1. I might have had some blindness in my right eye, too, for a couple of hours. On the first night of my stroke. I have some residual memory of it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ischemic stroke, part two" here @ https://one-handed-ilay.blogspot.com/2022/11/ischemic-stroke-part-two.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A reverberating letter to my stroke" @ https://one-handed-ilay.blogspot.com/p/a-reverberating-letter-to-my-stroke.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment