Ischemic stroke, part two


What are the probable obstacles?
1. Difficulty with everyday personal care, such as with eating, bathing, dressing oneself without help.
2. Mental problems such as difficulty to think, recall (either short-term or long-term memory loss), understand, reason.
3. Paralysis. Weakness in the limbs, such as on one side of the face or body, may become either long-term or permanent.
4. Pain, or numbness, or both, in the muscles or other body parts affected by the stroke. An example is a distressing or, worse, torturous tingling sensation in that area of the body, such as an arm or a leg.
5. Depression, and difficulty with constraining emotions, like anger, sadness, rage.
6. Difficulty to speak clearly or at all, to read or understand speech or language, to sip or swallow. These complications are brought about by a loss of control of the muscles in the mouth and throat.

The above obstacles may be temporary (whether short-term or long-term) or permanent disabilities caused by the stroke.

What can be done for rehabilitation?
Three types of therapy are associated with rehabilitation following any sort of stroke at that: physical; occupational; and speech. Those therapies are often crucial for managing daily life and reclaiming independence after the stroke – for instance, to regain lost functions such as motor skills, balance, coordination, speech.

A few factors affect stroke rehabilitation:
1. Stroke severity. Certainly, a mild stroke may not even require a professional therapist after one to two sessions with one. An acute stroke may require a professional therapist for upwards of five to ten years, or for life.
2. Age. Young stroke patients, such as in their 30s or lower ages, can reclaim more independence and live normally in the long run. It is that kind of age-influenced disability!
3. Start of rehabilitation. For sure, patients who begin their therapy/rehabilitation swiftly after their stroke are more likely to recover faster or better.

As for me, all those obstacles have manifested in me! My right arm is permanently immobile, as several people know, and mom aids me with my everyday personal care, such as with bathing and dressing. I suffer from right body pain and numbness, and have suffered occasionally from anger and depression. I have had short-term memory loss - including that of taking an hour to three days to remember words I’ve long known, half of which are easy words like “keep” or “years” but which my stroke-addled mind can’t process. I also have a stroke-induced switching of phonemes, like “f” to “p”, vice versa, which I used to hate from other people. Such is life!

Part one here.


Comments

  1. My being unable to wear tops with sleeves by myself absolutely reminds me daily that I am an only-semi-independent PwD. Barn it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ischemic stroke, part one" here @ https://one-handed-ilay.blogspot.com/2022/11/ischemic-stroke-part-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A reverberating letter to my stroke" @ https://one-handed-ilay.blogspot.com/p/a-reverberating-letter-to-my-stroke.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment